the second HUPE Zagorje Branch meeting will take place on the 11th December 2017 (Monday) at 5.30 pm at Vocational school Bedekovčina (SŠ Bedekovčina, Ljudevita Gaja 1, 49221 Bedekovčina).
Here are the treats we have prepared for you this time:
1. Pearson workshop - Conrad Kellett: How to Maintain Motivation for Learning for Students of B1 and above
A wise person once said “It’s not so much that I began to run, but that I continued.”
Often in our classrooms we have difficulty maintaining the motivation of higher level students to continue the run. They can get by pretty well in English, they do well in most of their tests, can follow films, sit coms, gossip about the Kardashians, and engage in online computer games. What can we do to help them reach their true potential? In this workshop we will explore various techniques we can employ to keep alive the impetus to strive for a higher level of both spoken and written language ability.
We will include some classroom activities which appeal to different students whether they are intrinsic, extrinsic, deep, strategic, surface or that beloved teenage gem of just down right lazy learners.
2. Irena Pavlović, prof. savjetnik: Controversy in the Classroom
Religious intolerance. Homosexual marriages. Abortion. Legalization of drugs. Minority issues. And so on… The number of topics that arouse strong feelings and have a tendency to create or reinforce divisions between people engendering suspicion and mistrust is growing daily. What should we do with these, controversial, issues in the classroom? Ignore them and let students deal with them on their own? Or include them in the curricula and approach them systematically? If you think the latter is the right choice, then this workshop – discussing the why and how of teaching controversial issues – is for you.
See you there!
The second HUPE Split Branch meeting will take place at Info zona, Jerina 1, Split on December 1st at 7 p.m.
- HUPE Split Branch work programme for the academic year 2017-18
- Roundtable Discussion: Challenges of Teaching English as a Second Language
This roundtable will provide an opportunity to:
- Identify common and specific challenges in teaching English as a second language in elementary schools, secondary schools (general education high- schools / vocational schools) and language schools
- Have a discussion about these issues
- Identify benefits and advantages of networking, collaboration and joining a professional teacher association.
Speakers: Vanja Fazinić, Koraljka Pejić, Miranda Barac, Branka Šegvić
- Team building
HUPE Split Branch President
The first HUPE Osijek branch meeting will take place at Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Lorenza Jaegera 9, Osijek on November 25 at 10 a.m.
The workshops will be held by Tihana Mudrovčić: eTwinning in ESL classroom, and Mirta Kos Kolobarić: Super Sleuths are on the Case.
We're looking forward to seeing you!
With kind regards,
Tihana Svoren Kolarec
HUPE Osijek branch president